In India, a person or an entity proposing to start with a food business must obtain a food license or a registration from the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI). Approximately 90% of food products have a prescribed specification by FSSAI. Only the ocean products and therefore the production involving fishermen and farmers are out of the scope of FSSAI. It generally takes two months to get the FSSAI License and approximately six months for the launch of product approval within the market.
1. Consumer confidence is that the primary and therefore the largest asset for gaining the purpose for the food authorities. A product’s packaging speaks volumes about the merchandise quality and during a way informs the consumers about the food safety standards.
2. the first focus may be a public health
TYPES OF LICENSES:
1. BASIC REGISTRATION
2. STATE LICENSE
3. CENTRAL LICENSE
For Basic FSSAI Registration:
The petty and small-sized food business operators like manufacturers, transporters, storage units, distributer, marketers, retailers, etc. are required to accumulate a Basic FSSAI Registration which is issued by the government for a minimum period of 1 year and a maximum of 5 years. it's mostly for the units having an annual turnover of but 12 lakh. the remainder depends on the eligibility, the FBO can thus fall into either the State FSSAI License or the essential Registration.
Documents required for Basic FSSAI – Food License:
1. FSSAI registration is initiated by submitting Form A (application) to food and safety department.
2. This application are often accepted or it's going to be rejected by the Department within 7 days from the appliance date and therefore the fact has got to be intimated to the applicant in writing
3. If the appliance is accepted, then the department will grant a registration certificate with the license number and therefore the photo of the applicant.
4. FBO should prominently display the certificate of registration at the place of business during the business hours.
1. new registration certificate – 100/year
2. renewal of registration certificate – 100/year
3. duplicate of registration certificate – 10% of the applicable certificate fee
Suspension and Cancellation of Food License
Under the below-mentioned circumstances, the food license can either be cancelled or suspended:
For State FSSAI License
The authority has guided the food business operators, having an annual turnover of quite 12 lakh, like small to medium-sized manufacturers, storage units, transporters, marketers, retailers, distributors, etc to get the State FSSAI License. it's issued by the respective government having a minimum validity of 1 year and a maximum of 5 yrs.
Eligibility for State FSSAI License
The State FSSAI License are often taken by the subsequent food business operators:
1. Meat Processing Units
2. Proprietary Foods
3. Slaughtering Units
6. Food Processing Units including retailers and repackers
7. Dairy Units, including Milk Chilling Units that are equipped to handle and process.
8. oil Processing Units and therefore the Units that produce oil through the method of solvent extraction and refineries, including Oil Expeller Unit.
Documents for FSSAI State License
The required documents for obtaining State FSSAI license are as follows:
Procedure for State License Application
1. Before applying for a State FSSAI License it's important to see the eligibility criteria as mentioned by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
2. After successfully checking the eligibility criteria subsequent step is to furnish the appliance form for obtaining the State FSSAI License. Every data provided to the department must be correct and appropriate.
3. Remember that the generic names must be mentioned for the products and not the brand names.
4. All the products as mentioned within the license must be approved as per the FSS Act, 2006.
5. At last, you'll be asked for a way a few years you would like to use . you've got to settle on the acceptable period of your time that you would like to require the license.
6. Post-filing the shape , the prescribed fees need to pay either through a web portal or by submitting the demand draft at the FSSAI state office.
For Central FSSAI License
Food business operators who have a turnover greater than 20 crores like large manufacturers, 100% export oriented units, importers, operators within the Central Government agencies, airports, seaports, etc are enforced to get a Central Food License issued by the Central Government. Also, the FBO’s are directed to get the Central License for his or her head office and if they operate in additional than one state. The minimum tenure of this license is one year and therefore the maximum is 5 years.
Eligibility for Central FSSAI License
The Central FSSAI License are often taken by the subsequent food business operators:
1. Dairy Units, including Milk Chilling Units that are equipped to handle and process.
2. Slaughtering Units
3. Proprietary Foods
4. Food Processing Units that include retailers and repackers.
5. oil Processing Units and therefore the Units that produce oil through the method of solvent extraction and refineries, including Oil Expeller Unit.
Documents Required for FSSAI Central License
The required documents for obtaining Central FSSAI license are as follows:
Procedure for Central License Application
1. If consistent with the eligibility criteria, one is directed to urge a Central FSSAI License then they need to fill out the appliance form consistent with the rules as prescribed by FSSAI. It must be taken care that each data provided must be correct, appropriate and authentic.
2. Remeber that the generic names must be mentioned for the products and not the brand names.
3. All the products as mentioned within the license must be approved as per the FSS Act, 2006.
4. At last, you'll be asked for a way a few years you would like to use . you've got to settle on the acceptable period of your time that you would like to require the license.
5. Post-filing the shape , the prescribed fees need to pay either through a web portal or by submitting the demand draft at the FSSAI state office.
For more information Click here